Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Spring means.....

I have millions of pets. Literally. Millions. They keep me company all spring and summer and sleep all winter. Perfect. Most people appreciate my pets. They don’t love them or even wish they had any but they are appreciated. My honey bees.
Honey bees are like all other pets, they need to have plenty of food and water and need to be medicated to stay well or they die. It is a lot of work to keep up with them. It doesn’t surprise me at times when in the first warm days of spring I trod out to the field to find a hive or two dead of starvation, mites or even unknown things that baffle me. But I try my best to keep these little fellers going so our hay will grow tall, our fruit and veggies will be more abundant and we can get honey for our tea .
But bees are fickle. One spring they are swarming and causing chaos in the neighborhood, then the next spring they are the perfect obedient lot, pollinating and making lots of honey. There is no rhyme or reason to their inconsistency.
So if you live in a three mile radius of my house, please don’t step on or squish my friends; they are in short supply and without them we could not feed the world.

2 comments:

diane gowdy said...

This reminds me of your dad! He loved bees too. I'm enjoying your blog and so is Ruthie. The Jamie Oliver link and show are really great. We do need to eat and cook from scratch. Sounds like you and the family are well.

Cheryl Derrick said...

Bees remind me of dad too. We are doing well. Keep in touch