Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Election Time......


I really think election day is a good day. A happier day than average I would say. It wasn’t always like that. I have always voted because I am very strong willed about getting my voice heard and no matter how loud I speak during the year, my vote speaks the loudest. But I dreaded the voting process. The lines were forever for 2 booths. The schools had to close just to accommodate the in pouring of people as determined as me and the lines ran on average 2 hours long. Then I moved to Grassy Cove and experienced a whole new kind of voting. I pull in to the Community Center, which used to be the old school house, to cast my ballot expecting lines, waits, ornery workers and just plain hassle. I walked in and first confronted my in-laws and for me that’s a very good thing. My mother in law asked for my drivers’ license and I just look at her like “are you serious? You don’t remember me?” She recorded the info then onto my father in law who asked me my name and to sign a piece of paper….what?...really?. Protocol. I was really getting a kick out of this. I looked around the room and saw a couple neighbors from up the street I haven’t seen in a while, my son declares there are cookies in the back and of course mamaw says yes. There was coffee there if I wanted any and the whole crew was carrying on with neighborhood talk. I didn’t think places like this existed in America anymore and I felt privileged to be a part of it. I hope it will stay like this forever so my kids can experience it. Yeah, election day is a good day and no, I have never taken advantage of early voting.

No comments: