Friday, April 2, 2010

The Mouth of Babes

Some of the most informative, introspective conversations I ever have are with my 9 year old. We are driving home from ball practice this Good Friday and I decided to start a conversation about this holiday. My hidden agenda being to test him like all us parents do to our kids to see if they are paying attention to what we say. I started off by asking him about Good Friday. In his confidence he educates me “Jesus was crucified today and the third day he rose from the dead and that would be Sunday and that’s Easter”. What a proud moment for me. My child actually pays attention to what’s going on around him! I was beaming. Then I had to throw in “But I wonder what the connection is between Easter eggs and Easter?” Without missing a beat he says, ”That’s simple. All the people were happy when Jesus rose from the dead and colored Easter eggs make me happy. Something all you grown ups don’t understand.” When I looked at him totally baffled and asked “What don’t we understand?” He said, “The ‘happy’ part.
If we could only see the world as a child sees it………..

No comments: