Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Food Revolution Update

The first blog I ever wrote was after the first episode of Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution about a month ago.  I reported my thoughts about the whole thing. Great idea, kind of expensive, don’t know if it’ll fly. Since that day I have done more research on this food thing Jamie was trying to sell.  I have put some of these recipes, costs, and likeability to the toughest test. The test of my family which ultimately includes a 10 year old chocolate eating chicken nugget, pop tart addict. 
To start with, I did have to buy the book (which I love) because the recipes on the internet have measurements and some stuff I don’t comprehend.  I started cooking recipes a few times a week.   You have to remember, I’m a chef of hot dogs, chicken and rice and that’s about it. The thrill of this for me was going to the store and buying things I have never heard of.  What isle do you look in for something you have no idea what it is or even if it’s in a jar, in a can, is a spice or a veggie.  I felt bad for the other shoppers at the supermarket as I was constantly in need of weird things like capers,  garam marsala(?), and tandoori.  After I got past this, the rest was pretty easy.  The recipes really don’t take that long and taste fantastic. 
My latest adventure tonight was Quick Salmon Tikka with Cucumber Yogurt. I decided to actually go to the store and price all the ingredients for this. It totaled about $20.00 for the meal that fed three (and I had leftovers )plus a salad.  Once you have ingredients in the cupboards, the expense isn’t that bad. 
The bottom line is this; I can buy good affordable healthy meals.  I can get my child to eat ceaser salad and asparagus and like it and best of all, we all spend time in the kitchen together laughing, working on the recipes and enjoying each others’ company .  This Food Revolution has been more than just an awareness of what we eat, its actually made some good changes here that will last and we really love it.

No comments: