Thursday, April 29, 2010

Pleasantly surprised

The first time this year I ate lunch at my sons school was in October.  I had to check it out since this was his first year in a new school.  I arrived about 11:15 for the 11:25 on the dot lunch time.  We proceeded through the lunch line and I obediently  followed my sons lead like he was an old pro at the practices and procedures. What I noticed at this school that struck me as odd was that you grab a tray and then you continue along the line choosing the individual items you want to eat.  This is in contrast to what I would expect like giving the child one plate with a little of everything they served that day.  My child of course chose two servings of chicken nuggets and fried potato cubes. I was so proud (sarcastic). The small bowls of salad were piling up and the veggies were left untouched and the whole display of greens looked like the line of adoptable sad face puppies that nobody wanted. I felt so bad for them, I just had to get some. We sat, ate and got through the meal catching up on my sons day so far.  I left there heavy hearted and discouraged as to WHY my child gets to choose.  If I had a choice at age ten to pick a Hershey bar or a plate of greens, I would go chocolate in a minute.

That was then. Back at the beginning of the year.  My son again (dreadfully) asked me and Grandma to join him for lunch one day when she was visiting last week.  This time I insisted on bringing some Subway sandwiches.  I asked my mom to do a little experiment with me and proceeded to tell her the situation and what I had experienced last time I had lunch there. We agreed to look around to see what the kids were actually choosing since I didn't feel like that was appropriate for elementary school.  When we got there we skipped the line since we had our own food and the both of us quietly sneaked peeks at the items on the trays of the other young children in the room.
"Did you see that?" I asked.
"I think I know what you're talking about." mom replied.
"I KNOW. Just look at it!!!  Fruit and salad on every tray! Some even had two servings of fruit!"

Ok, I dont know what's been happening in this school since October, but those kids are actually eating the fruit and salad! That was one time I was glad I was made a fool.
PS. I would still like to see just one plate and grown ups serve out the food to be sure the option to eat it after they sit down is there.

No comments: