Monday, May 24, 2010

Where your heart is

I am the type of person that once I get my mind on something, the world would literally have to implode in order for me to shake it. Just about a month ago I was sitting in my coffee drinking chair thinking. I was thinking about this summer. I recently have had the luxury of staying at home with my son the past couple of summers and was thinking about what excursions we could go on this year. I also began to remember the time when I had to work and dreaded trying to find something for him to do while I was working. That lead me to thinking what do you do in rural America with kids too old for daycare and too young to go out alone and hang with friends? Here where the nearest store is 10 miles away, its not like you can walk. Alot of this thinking would have never come about if I hadn't spent so much time listening to stories about local children who are just out there in the world during the summer, home alone, eating junk food if they ate at all, always surrounded by drugs or alcohol or both, spending an entire summer looking forward to the first day of school just to get away. That makes me mad. That makes me want to get a van and scoop them all up and take them to fun places where they can be kids and run and play and have exciting things happen to them.......

Oh wait, this is the part where I tell you that that's what I decided to do. My grieving heart showed up one day at the door of the House of Hope to do some computer work with Karen, one of the mentors there, and as I shared my vision of volunteering my summer up to take these children/Teens out to have some cool experiences, I heard Denise , the director of the House of Hope and so focused on children, say in the other room "Hey, we can do that!" (She says that alot). So the ball starts rolling. I have spent alot of time working out plans and people and times and days but I have to admit I am overwhelmed with joy.

All the people I have talked to or approached about giving a little of their business or their time were more than willing to do so for these kids. Wow, thats just awesome. The short of the story is, if you stop by my blog and I haven't written, you can be pretty sure I'm working it out for the kids or living it up with them. There are two things that go through my head everyday:

1) Where your heart is, there your treasure is also. and

2) The closest you can get to God's heart, is to love a child.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

testing this comments section