Monday, May 10, 2010

Nashville Clean Up Day


Last Friday was a very cool day.  It actually all started on Thursday.  I decided that after following the flood stories in Nashville through Cross Point Church for days and days and my heart breaking and breaking for all those people, I wanted to do something. I called my son Kevin and he and his friend Neil and another friend Caroline from church agreed to meet with me.  The 4 of us set out that next morning early to donate our time to the cause to help anyone.  We met up with the Cross Point Church team in west Nashville early on Friday morning and we set out on our mission.  These people were amazing.  They were organized and focused. I was stunned at what had been accomplished so far and how many people just kept diving in to help.  As we ventured into the flood zone it really wasn’t at all what I imagined.  Some houses had huge piles of garbage and sheet rock that had been extracted sitting out in front and other houses were left virtually unscathed due to the hilly nature of the landscape.  We arrived at the one house that we would spend the day working at and immediately noticed the attitude of the world around us.  Every so often a car would come by and if they couldn’t physically help clean up, they were handing out water or ice cream or anything else that workers and volunteers would need.
These people weren’t part of any organization, they were part of America.  Loving their neighbor and answering the call.  Many times random people would come by to ask who needs helps and what could they do. My heart really went out to the couple and their young son as they dealt with all the loss the best they could. But these homeowners had an incredible positive and gracious attitude. They were thankful for the help, happy they were all fine and pleasant to work around.  I could write a seven page journal on all that I experienced that day but it is just a blog so you get the abbreviated version.  The day had been a success and as my son put it, “We punched the Nashville flood in the face today”.

No comments: