Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Catch 22

I have been totally inspired. I watched -Jamie Oliver’s -Food Revolution last Friday night and I was so excited about what he was doing, I caught myself yelling at the TV screen! In case you missed it, This Chef from England comes to the unhealthiest town in America and tries to change a culture to eat right and get our kids in school to eat right. Sounds great, right? Not. I could not believe the resistance he received when he showed up to tackle this. I thought “What is wrong with you people” !

After the show was over, in my excitement, I decided to put my money where my mouth is. I searched for Jamie’s website and start writing down recipes and getting cooking advise ( those who know me know I need it!!). Yesterday I went shopping. I bought all the things on my list for about 3 dinners and some miscellaneous grocery items.

I spent $110.00. Then I went..” AH HA!” I figured out the American dilemma. I have to choose. People may think we are lazy or too busy to cook or addicted to fried food which some of that is true but in this economy, it is cheaper to buy processed food that eat a good meal. This is the problem we have to solve before we can educate America on eating right. The almighty dollar. Is it the grocery stores gouging us? Is it the farmers lack of rain? Show me how to buy a week’s worth of meals, 3 a day on a fixed income and I will be the epitome of health.

For the record, the meal I made last night was Bacon wrapped white fish with Asparagus and Lemon Mayo sauce. My husband said it was THE BEST meal I had ever made!!! I support Jamie Oliver in all he does and I will continue to work on healthy eating in my family as far as the budget will allow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am fully with you on this Revolution. As a matter of fact I'm watching him right now on Rachael Ray discussing this epidemic in our schools and country overall. You hit the nail on the head when you said the problem is COST, who can afford to buy fresh ingredients when your trying to make the dollar stretch, I know I can't. I admit I do buy alot of processed food but have been getting in to the mentality that it's not healthy anymore and I certainly want to set a good example for my child to follow. So bit by bit I will be making a conscious effort to change my lifestyle and that of my family for a healthy living. Good luck to you on your endeavour and I'll let you know how mine is going. Love you. Dawn Bender To those who read this please sign Jamie Oliver's Petition to get healthy eating into our schools. Our future depends on these kids growing up and being productive members of society. They deserve a chance.