Friday, November 2, 2018

Fear and Fire


I have a new favorite movie. I spent last weekend watching Skyscraper, twice. I’m surprised at how much I loved this movie since I can’t get to the third rung of a ladder without anxiety. I wig out even watching videos of people washing widows on tall buildings. So as you can probably guess, this movie is about a skyscraper so it is filled with some of the most death defying, height challenging scenes. I think I spent most of it curled up in the fetal position. If you haven’t seen it, I don’t know if there are spoilers or not so read on at your own risk.

The basis of the movie is about a father, Will Sawyer, who would do whatever it takes, even to his own death to save his family from this burning skyscraper.  He loves his family more than his own life. I spend the first hour and 15 minutes holding my breath until I get to this scene. When all seems lost, when Will promises he will find a way out but flames and destruction have surrounded them with absolutely no hope for rescue, this happens. He takes his daughter in his arms. He sits down behind her and surrounds her with himself and all he says to her is “I got you. I got you.”

This is when the tears start to fall. I am in the mind of this little girl and I know that even if I perish right now, my father, who loves me more than life itself, is holding me in his arms, going through the fire with me, and he says the only thing I need to hear right now , “I got you.” Hearing that safe and secure voice, the fear melts away and no matter what happens, as long as I’m with Him, I am ok.


I feel like I’ve been there many times in my life, surrounded by fire with no way of escape. That’s when I hear, “I got you.”  The fear melts away and I again have the strength to face the fire. Safe.  Secure. No matter what.

No comments: