Thursday, October 20, 2011

Lessons School Can't Teach

I couldn’t be more proud of my 11 year old son than I was this morning. No, report cards didn’t come out , I didn’t receive any papers with 100’s on them, nor did any trophy of special importance come home in his backpack. It was his courage.
A few days ago we randomly talked about forgiveness. Not only forgiving people but making it right after you forgive. I think its so important that if you are going to forgive people, you need to try to make things right between you. We also talked about when you do things that wrong or hurt others we need to apologize as soon as we realize what we’ve done and go and make it right.
This morning after I picked up some other riders and drove toward the school, my son, out of nowhere, says to another boy in the car, “A while ago I was mean to you. It wasn’t like me and I don’t know why I was, I just was. I am really sorry if I was. Do you forgive me?”
I can’t image how much courage it took him to say that because he is not very good with words or saying how he feels to anyone. I am just so thankful that he understands the things I try to teach him and know that he will be ok in this big crazy world. That, as a parent, is worth more to me than any report card or trophy.

No comments: