Tuesday, October 4, 2011

In my search for all things old, cool and interesting, I ran across a school book at my in-laws house. The book published in 1914, The Volume Library, was used at the Grassy Cove Academy. The book was written with over 90 consultants as well as the President of the New York City College of Teachers in an agreement as to the direction to take our children. As I flip through the yellowed sensitive pages, I read exerts of the introduction teaching parents how to prepare a child for school and their responsibilities as a parent. The Kindergarten outline. The school book offers different types of obedience for parents to ensure successful learning at school.
Page 3 Paragraph5:
“About the worst method to secure obedience is unfortunately most commonly employed; to frighten the child by threats and punishments. The motive of fear is the most treacherous of all motives. It breeds cowardice, deception and hypocrisy. It destroys character and personality. It prevents development of confidence between child and parent, and will never teach a child the real reasons for right conduct.”
Wow. What a statement.

In all caps reads(speaking of the I Say, You Jump to please me approach to obedience): “THE PINCIPLE AIM OF EDUCATION MUST FOREVER BE TO GIVE THE CHILD THE POWER OF SELF CONTROL OF SELF MANAGEMENT AND THE SENSE OF RESPONSIBILITY OF INDEPENDENT THOUGHT. This is the reason why obedience of the mechanical kind, as valuable as it is, has to be employed with great caution.”

I’m not sure exactly where I’m going with this except for the fact that I think maybe we ought to take a time out, find the successes of the past and implement them today for a better adjusted, well educated, happier experience studying for a good future.

No comments: