Saturday, June 18, 2011

Let's talk about Dad


In honor of Father’s day, I have something to say about your dad. Father’s Day is a tough one since my dad has been living it up with the angels for over two years. I remember the last father’s day card I bought. I was standing in front of the card selection and pulled out this card and read it. I laughed so hard out loud; other people turned and looked at me. I wasn’t embarrassed but proceeded to share this card with anyone standing there. I brought the card home but I never sent it. I can’t remember if dad was on vacation or out of town and I decided to wait. Then a month went by so decided to save it for next year. I still have the card. I thought maybe I would give it to my father-in-law but its just not the same. I can’t seem to part with it. It is a symbol of one of many missed opportunities. My dad wasn’t famous, wouldn’t get father of the year, and was no Ward Cleaver or Cliff Huxtable but he was the best dad I ever had, the one God gave me and the one I would pick again if I had an instant rewind.
Sometimes you might think you have issues with your dad but you know what, so does everybody else and in the long run when the day is over, he’s the one God gave you. He is the one that will love you unconditionally no matter what you do or what you may believe. No matter the type of person you think he is, the day will come when you realize that he was the best possible dad he knew how to be with the tools that he had. If I had a megaphone to heaven, I would tell my dad that the only thing that mattered was that I knew he loved me and that love will sustain me for the rest of my days.
If your blessed enough to still have him here, maybe you should tell him that on Father’s Day so you won’t feel like you'll need that megaphone later.

No comments: