Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The secret job you don't know you have.

The world of kids needs a few good mentors. Oh, wait, you are a mentor and you probably don’t even know it. Some of the best mentors in the world are the family members who are not a parent or sibling, but the person that doesn’t mind hanging out with you and sharing some good fun together. You have no idea what a great impact this has on a child or teenager. An Aunt or Uncle can bring new perspectives, ideas and interests that really add to the quality of childhood. Like getting an A in math AND all the extra credit answers right.

When I was young (er), I had a favorite aunt. And I say “had” only because of the child perspective. She’s still my favorite. I thought she was the coolest person ever. She was very outgoing and I remember all the hiking and exploring we would do. She loved to travel and I anticipated hearing about her adventures overseas and working with children. I knew for sure that one day when I grew up, I would be just like her. It gave me a new way at looking at life than what was only in front of me. Well, I didn’t grow up just like her, she’s still traveling or on a hiking trail somewhere and I’m sitting in front of a computer screen but I know she’ll always be there and still one of my favorite “grown ups”.
When I grew older and had a child of my own, I was a devout Tomboy. I was anti-dresses, no heals, could care less about my nails and pretty sure I could do whatever my brothers could. I was thankful that my daughter had aunts in the family to show her the frilly pink stuff, the hair bows and play dress up. Her being able to spend that quality time with them created bonds that will last a lifetime.

In working with so many kids lately, I noticed a trend in the lack of someone to talk to. They just might not know that they do have people in their lives that love them like parents and care about everything they do. You could be that person and you need to look around and let them know that you’re there for them. Non judgmental, just to talk to or hang out with or a person they can vent to if they ever need someone. My nieces and nephews know that I have a revolving door that is constantly open. Spending time with them is so much fun and I always look forward to seeing them.

No comments: